Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has said that Washington's attempt to negotiate bilaterally with Tehran is an illusion.
"The only possible way forward for negotiations is within the context of the P5 + 1 and returning to pre-2017 status," Zarif tweeted on Sunday.
@realDonaldTrump is still dreaming about a bilateral meeting—to satisfy HIS lust for a "Trump deal". It’s wishful thinking. The only possible venue for talks is at the P5+1 table—which HE left—reverting to pre-2017, AND compensating Iran for damages.
Zarif's message came after the US President Donald Trump wrote in Twitter, "Iranian Foreign Minister says Iran wants to negotiate with the United States but wants sanctions removed."
Trump went on to say that Washington was unwilling to accept the condition.
US officials, including Donald Trump, have repeatedly said in recent months that they are seeking talks with Iran.
However, in 2018, Trump illegally withdrew from Iran's nuclear agreement 2015 that had been negotiated for several years, announcing the return of nuclear sanctions.